Fellow Travelers

My Photo

« Return of the Blogger | Main | Where My Mojo Went »

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d83452ce5e69e20147e01ef0d3970b

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Marina Puerto Lucia, Ecuador:

Comments

Mike and Leilani Costello

Dear Foxes,

Great post on Pto Lucia! Thanks. We are Lanikai, currently in Golfito, C.R. and heading to Caraquez and then on to Lucia. Hope to see you there.

Any weather or routing advice from Golfito to Caraquez?

Saludos,

Mike and Leilani, s/v Lanikai

sailnmuffin

Hey, thanks for the comment, Lanikai - we may have seen your boat at anchor at Isla Contadora in the Las Perlas islands back last December/January. Hope you have as good a time in Ecuador as we did - it's really a beautiful country.

Weather/router advice, CR to Ecuador: We left Golfito on June 4, 2010, and arrived in Pto. Lucia on June 9. We used Commanders' Weather (http://www.commandersweather.com/) since the length of our travel exceeded the length of a reliable forecast. We were very happy with their service; basically they set you off with a forecast & then email you en route if anything changes. Anyway, our first 2 days out were very easy sailing - light winds and low waves, aft of the beam. Day 3, things started picking up & winds/waves moved forward of the beam, as we approached the area where the Humboldt Current flows areound the top part of South America. Day 4-6, Commanders' Weather helped us dodge a low pressure system that was developing in the SW, close to our rhumb line, so we diverted east. 24 hrs. later we had to divert back west as a line of convection was forming over Panama & moving to our position. When you look at our actual route on our paper chart, we trended much more easterly than we would have wanted; but the most comfortable strategy was to make for the Ecuadorean mainland as quickly as possible (to avoid all that bad weather) before working our way back westward to Pto.Lucia. In all, the trip was OK and we'd do it again.

However, weather changes quickly in that crossing & if we did it again the only thing we'd do differently is leave a week/10 days earlier. And unfortunately, Isla Malpelo is right in the way of a straight voyage from Golfito to Ecuador - like many islands stuck out in the middle of the ocean all alone, lots of bad weather seems to form aroung there. So about the only advice I can give is: leave in May, stay as far away from Malpelo as you can, and consider hiring a weather router.

m

Gary & Marianne

Hey, thanks for the comment, Lanikai - we may have seen your boat at anchor at
Isla Contadora in the Las Perlas islands back last December/January. Hope you
have as good a time in Ecuador as we did - its really a beautiful country.

Weather/router advice, CR to Ecuador: We left Golfito on June 4, 2010, and
arrived in Pto. Lucia on June 9. We used Commanders
Weather (http://www.commandersweather.com/) since the length of our travel
exceeded the length of a reliable forecast. We were very happy with their
service; basically they set you off with a forecast & then email you en route if
anything changes. Anyway, our first 2 days out were very easy sailing - light
winds and low waves, aft of the beam. Day 3, things started picking up &
winds/waves moved forward of the beam, as we approached the area where the
Humboldt Current flows areound the top part of South America. Day 4-6,
Commanders Weather helped us dodge a low pressure system that was developing in
the SW, close to our rhumb line, so we diverted east. 24 hrs. later we had to
divert back west as a line of convection was forming over Panama & moving to our
position. When you look at our actual route on our paper chart, we trended much
more easterly than we would have wanted; but the most comfortable strategy was
to make for the Ecuadorean mainland as quickly as possible (to avoid all that
bad weather) before working our way back westward to Pto.Lucia. In all, the trip
was OK and wed do it again.

However, weather changes quickly in that crossing & if we did it again the only
thing wed do differently is leave a week/10 days earlier.  And unfortunately,
Isla Malpelo is right in the way of a straight voyage from Golfito to Ecuador -
like many islands stuck out in the middle of the ocean all alone, lots of bad
weather seems to form aroung there. So about the only advice I can give is:
leave in May, stay as far away from Malpelo as you can, and consider hiring a
weather router.

m

The comments to this entry are closed.